Monday, February 13, 2006

Obscure album review - Elf Power - nothing's going to happen

I just got this little gem from amazon. Elf power are part of the elephant 6 collective that includes Neutral Milk Hotel and Olivia Tremor Control. There is such a degree of cross-pollination between these bands that I can't be bothered to work it out. Basically they all play on each others records.

I picked this CD up because it is a covers album (not always a good thing) that features several of my favourite childhood/adolescent/now songs.

These include

Bad Brains - Pay to cum - the speedpunk reggae classic
Husker Du - never talking to you again - I never stop talking about how much I love this song
Misfits - hybrid moments - a danzig classic
Roky Erickson - I walked with a zombie - also done by REM
Jesus and Mary Chain - Upside down - from my home town
Sonic youth - cotton crown
Flaming lips - felt good to burn

plus songs by the buzzcocks, t-rex and tubeway army. All done in a low-fi, semi-acoustic way that showcases the songs in a new way. The original versions of many of these songs are pretty heavy listening so it is nice that they have been made more accessible.

A pleasant diversion.

8 outta 10

fhky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home