Friday, January 20, 2006

Not all records are required - Hard-Fi - stars of CCTV

Not all records are required. Sometimes you are just wandering around the supermarket and you see a CD for 6.99. You know one of the songs is OK and you take a chance. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's less than good.

Stars of CCTV by Hard-Fi is a record like that. Impulse bought, a bit like chewing gum or Cadburys Easter Eggs at the checkout. A quick buzz but it doesn't really add much to your life.

Good bits first. I like Cash machine, one of the singles. It has some interesting sounds on it, a slight dub influence, good lyrics. It's about being a wage slave and life being a dull series of minor failures. I can relate to that sometimes. Everyone can, sometimes. It's ok.

Other songs were less good. For some reason the song hard to beat reminds me of late '80s pop-pish Wet Wet Wet. I'm not sure if it's the guitar sound, the general production, the singing or the keyboard stabs but something about this track sends a shiver down my spine. It's uncanny.

I'm just generally indifferent to this CD. I might listen to it again, I might not. I have many better CDs to listen to so I should probably invest my time elsewhere. Life is short. I would not like to be stuck on a desert island with this CD.

Last years Coral.

6 out of 10

phunk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home