Tuesday, December 20, 2005

SST records - the best label of the '80s?

This american indie label had an amazing roster and put out some of the best punk albums of all time.

These include

Black Flag - Damaged
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Sonic Youth - sister
Dinosaur Jr - you're living all over me
Minutemen - double nickles on the dime
Bad Brains - I against I
Descendents - I don't wanna grow up

plus albums by soundgarden and screaming trees that I don't like but other people do.

Anyway, if you like 80s american punk this label was the best. Dischord were too regional, alternative tentacles too weird. Touch n go had some good stuff but they just weren't as influential as the SST bands.

In the UK creation didn't really peak until 1990 and factory were patchy. I know very little about postcard.

I think SST helped make good modern music sound the way it does.

Any thoughts?

funky

3 Comments:

Blogger mushsis said...

hope you had a fab non-working christmas :)
(off-subject I know, but none of my comments on your other blog seem to publish. anyway, have a good festive season dude)

7:15 AM

 
Blogger drphunk said...

Hi,

Happy x-mas to you too. Only had to work 24th, 27th and 30th. Two 2nd-on and one 3rd-on. No nights or first ons. Did see some scary stuff on x-mas eve though!

Anyway, have had 2 good days off and all new year off so v.happy.

Blog problem sorted. Had pressed some 'moderate comments' button and had a big pile of unpublished comments that I didn't know about. That's me, always pushing buttons that I don't understand ;-)

4:35 PM

 
Blogger drphunk said...

PS after fixing the comments thing I found an old question from you about my first degree. It was neuroscience class of '99. You can probably guess the uni.

4:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home