Thursday, November 10, 2005

One time I applied for a job

One time I applied for a job in a cool record shop. It was back when I was a cool young punk. Now this record shop was so fucking cool, it was so fucking cool that you had to write a list of your ten favourite records of all time and if they were cool enough you would get a job.

Obviously I wasn't cool enough. (Thanks missing records, glasgow. You Bastards)

Anyway, I ended up working in Our Price. It was shit.

Back then my top ten was something like

1. Primal Scream - Screamadelica. Cos it is really cool, chicks dig it, it has a great cover and you can dance to it.

2. John Coltrane =- A love supreme - Just fucking listen to it man. Its so good.

3. Husker Du - zen arcade - brilliant. intense. Never talking to you again is amazing. Angry and just god-like

4. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless - Sounds you can only dream of. Like being on drugs when you are not on drugs

5. Big Black - Songs about fucking - cos it's offensive and sounds like your head is in a shredder.

6. The velvet underground and nico - obvious. Lou reed is god.

7. Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation - my love of sonic youth is well documented on my main blog

8. Belle and sebastian - The boy with the arab strap - it was glasgow. It was 1998.

9. Black Flag - the first four years - explosive singles compilation with Nervous Breakdown. Angry Angry Angry

10. Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions to hold us back. Mainly to sound cool but I have shook hands with Chuck D, I have got his autograph and Public Enemy are one of the best fucking live bands ever. On a good day.

Anyway, that was seven years ago but the list is still good. All those records are valid and really say something to me. I don't like top tens but people should hear these records.

More soon

Funky

3 Comments:

Blogger mushsis said...

heheh cute story about applying for a job in missing and getting landed with our price! (incidentally, missing records in glasgow, together with fopp, took a fairly hefty slice of my first earnings in those days)

I would agree with most of your comments about your top ten, but have never heard big black or black flag.

would any of these records make it into your top ten now?

6:27 AM

 
Blogger drphunk said...

Hi,

Probably better that you haven't heard black flag or big black. Just really aggressive american boy-rock about how bad it is to be an adolescent male. Black Flag spawned the ego-monster that is Henry Rollins and were a massive influence on Nirvana. Big Black were a socio-pathic late '80s noise rock band. They are most famous for Steve Albini who produced albums by Nirvana, the Pixies, PJ Harvey and the Breeders.

I would still listen to most of these records and thoroughly enjoy them. The Velvets, Coltrane and MBV are timeless. Sonic Youth and Husker Du are regularly on my stereo. I'm less likely to listen to black flag or public enemy on a daily basis cos they are too angry. I'm going to see B&S in january.

5:49 AM

 
Blogger zoe said...

yeah, drphunk, what's your *current* top 10?
enlighten us :)
(like your blogs btw)

11:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home