Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Neutral milk hotel - yes or no?

If you answer yes or no to the above question you have an opinion on Neutral milk hotel. If you just saw 'what the fuck?' you have not been reading supertrendy music magazines. Shame on you.

NMK are an american indie rock band who existed about ten years ago. They (together with the olivia tremor control) were the most successful members of the elephant six musical collective. Trendy types have been dropping their name this year (franz ferdinand and the arcade fire). Their most popular album was in the aeroplane over the sea.

I first encountered NMK when that album came out. My strangest friend (sorry graeme) was well into them. He made me listen to them again and again but I just didn't get it. They were too gentle and soft for my fugazi loving ears but too weird for stone roses style indie boogying. They didn't work for me.

I'm older now and wiser so I picked up the reissue CD when it came out two months back. And it's ok. The first song king of carrot county is great. Weird lyrics about messed up families and formative experiences. It's folky and noisy and joyous and sad. And unfocused.


Sometimes I really like this record but sometimes it annoys me. Neutral milk hotel - yes or no? My answer is maybe. I want to hear some more

1 Comments:

Blogger drphunk said...

yeah. I really like them, I'm just not sure that I love them.

I bought an olivia tremor control album years back (black foliage ithink) and i wasn't too impressed which probably put me off NMH at the time.

I listen to 'aeroplane..' a lot and i'm trying to find a copy of avery island. I think it's really sad that they arent putting out more records.

Have you seen the elephant 6 official website? I can't remember the exact address but it has lots of cool mp3s.

thanks for contributing

funky

11:59 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home