Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Arctic monkeys - whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not

I really, really wanted to hate this album. I tried hard. In theory, it should suck. This band shouldn't be any good. It's not right. Good bands don't sell records. Good bands are always underappreciated. Only crap bands sell. Only crap bands reach number one.

Every rule needs an exception, like I before E except after C. I guess that would make the first arctic monkeys album C. It's good.

It's better than the first Oasis album. It is a very strong first attempt. It feels more real than the first Franz Ferdinand album which I did (and do) love. The lyrics are literate and the songs are energetic. They talk about a life that I can relate to with a guitar sound that I like. This just isn't right. I'm an indie snob.

A recent magazine article compared the band to the Jam and, for me, that comparison is bang on. The songs have the power and insight of in the city or eton rifles. They are less 'cosmic' than the Stone Roses (who I loved) and less '6th form sensitive poetry' than the Smiths (who had one or two good tunes).

So, here we are. Good commercial modern rock. Fuck me, it's a flying pig. Stand out tracks? Mardy bum, fake tales of san fransisco and vampires....

You cannot imagine my self-loathing....


funk

3 Comments:

Blogger mushsis said...

I feel your pain ;)

1:37 PM

 
Blogger drphunk said...

Have you heard it? Do you like?

1:15 PM

 
Blogger mushsis said...

I've heard snatches of it - it was pretty good. damn.

7:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home