Friday, January 27, 2006

Jukebox review - Nice 'n' Sleazy's, Glasgow

Sleazy's was my favourite pub for years. I started going there when I was about 15 to see bands and do some underage drinking. For a long time it was a focal point for me and my mates. We used to sneak in bottle of MD 20-20 and drink them under the table. I saw some cool gigs there over the years. Fabric. Mogwai. Arab Strap. I played a couple of gigs there myself and I had fun. I used to know some of the bar staff and sometimes I would even get a free pint.

That was all a long time ago. Now it's almost a decade later and things have changed. It's a bit cleaner and I feel older. Younger kids are cooler than me now. I'm a mature adult with a real job. I don't even drink much now.

One thing hasn't changed. The jukebox. The best goddam jukebox in the world ever.

Last night I played -

Mudhoney - touch me, I'm sick
Sonic youth - teenage riot
Sons & Daughters - the red reciever
Arab Strap - packet of 3
TV on the radio - staring at the sun
Butthole surfers - jimi
Belle & sebastian - the state that I am in
Pixies - broken face
Violent femmes - blister in the sun
Arcade fire - Neighbourhood number 2

And I could have played a hundred songs that I like - PJ Harvey, Dinosaur Jr, Minor threat, fugazi, jesus & mary chain. They all live here, in this box.

I spoke to Mig, the proud father of the jukebox. He's been involved with the organizational side of sleazys for years and the jukebox is his baby. He ordered it years ago and proudly told me how psychocandy by the mary chain is the oldest CD in the box. You can tell because it has a typed track-list.

When they ordered the jukebox the suppliers had trouble sourcing the CDs that Mig wanted and psychocandy is one of the few that they could find. The cover of the Whale album was hand drawn by Mig one afternoon as he only had a promo copy in a cardboard cover. The sons&daughters 'love the cup' mini album has a unique cover featuring a photograph of his mother.

He loves this jukebox like a child. And I would adopt it.

If you are in Glasgow, go to sleazys and spin some tunes. jimi by the Butthole Surfers is my favourite.

funky

2 Comments:

Blogger zoe said...

i have a Fantastic Idea, which i will discuss with you on wednesday, providing you're still free.

remind me about touring wine....

i shall textualise you tomorrow.

5:20 PM

 
Blogger drphunk said...

Should be OK on wednesday. Text me later

N

9:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home