Saturday, February 25, 2006

Angry music for boys

When I was younger I was really into hardcore punk. I loved bands like Black Flag, Minor Threat, the Dead Kennedys, the Bad Brains and the Descendents. Although I did get to see the Bad Brains (and ALL who were the descendents with a different singer) I was too young to see these bands live. They all broke up when I was about 10.

I made up for it by going to see all the equivalent bands that were on the scene in the 1990s. Madball, Quicksand, Sick of it all, the Ramones, the reformed Misfits, the Rollins Band and the Jesus Lizard. I saw plenty of more progressive/less hardcore bands like Fugazi, Girls against Boys, Shellac and Sonic Youth. I also went to see bands like the Charlatans, the Stone Roses, Black Grape and Oasis. And legends like Bob Dylan, Neil Young, BB King and James Brown. And I went to a few jazz clubs too.

Basically, I went to every gig in Glasgow. I'm wandering away from the point of this post. I've got a heavy cold and my head is a bit fuzzy. I want to write about some CDs that I've bought from Ebay recently. CDs that I think are great but won't be everyones cup of tea. These CDs are for men who at some stage in their life have enjoyed angry guitar based music and at some point have 'adolescent moments'.

Which brings me to Graveyard Rodeo and their album 'On the verge'. I guess that most of the people who read this thread will not have heard of Graveyard Rodeo. Their music is difficult to listen to and they were never popular. This CD came out in 1994 and was not a success at the time. The band (as far as I know) quickly split up. One of my best mates gave me a tape of the album back then and it just struck a chord with me. I love the low quality recording of fast, loud, distorted guitars and the vocals that are evocative of a pissed off dalek. The lyrics are very negative but somehow it all works. Somehow it makes me happy, it makes me smile. I will stick it on my iPod with basement jaxx, the arcade fire and bright eyes. It will make my portable music collection more complete. If you, dear reader, have ever liked angry male music, try ebay. It only cost me £4.

The next album that I want to talk about is Among the living by Anthrax. This was the record that first really got me into music. It came out in 1986 when I was 9 and I guess that I first heard it when I was 10 or 11. I was a big comic nerd (as I still am) and I guess the 'in' was I am the Law, a song about Judge Dredd, the science fiction/dirty harry hybrid that is the lead strip in 2000AD. It's a great song on a great album. Loud, fast guitars and truly geeky songs. Two songs are about Stephen King stories (I started reading his books when I was about 10). On top of this there are a couple of overtly pollitical songs which I guess were good to hear at an impressionable age. One world is about the environment while efilnikufesin/NFL is an anti-drugs song(read the title backwards). Best of all is Indians about how the pioneers and the good ole USA fucked over the native Americans. It's a great album that started me thinking when I was 10 and I would happily give it to any child of mine.

Finally, I picked up a black flag tribute CD called black on black. It is interesting because it features a couple of songs by the Dillinger Escape Plan who are the scariest band that I have ever seen live. They opened the Glasgow Gig on the Green festival a few years ago with one of the most extreme sets I have witnessed. The singer seemed to have a serious desire to kill himself or the crowd. Allegedly the last time that he played in Glasgow someone had knocked his teeth out and he wanted revenge. He started throwing bottles and cans of beer into the crowd of several thousand unwashed slipknot fans whilst shouting abuse about both the audience and the other bands on the bill. The crowd joined in with the spirit of things by throwing everything they could find at the singer. He topped this by lowering his trousers, defecating in his hand and throwing it into the crowd. Just like a monkey. Pleasant.

I watched this from the safe distance of about 500 metres but it was one of the few concerts that I have been at where I was actually scared that someone would be seriously injured. Their music was great. Like dissonant jazz. They later recorded a version of come to daddy by aphex twin but that show was scary. The singer was either needing jail or a psychiatric unit. Their songs on the black flag tribute are OK.

Anyway, that's enough about angry boy music. I bought 'hits' by joni mitchell today and I seriously thought about getting the new neil diamond record. Heavy metal is all about hairy sweaty guys touching each other really.

phunky

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graveyard Rodeo, from New Orleans, Louisiana had been around since 1980 or so. The line up on "On The Verge" has only one original member... the bassist. Their previous CD, "Sowing Discord In The Haunts Of Man" has 3 original members (vocalist, bassist, and drummer) and is a more accurate record of their sound. Pepper Keenan (of C.O.C./Down fame) played guitar for these guys before joining Corrosion Of Conformity in the late 80's

They broke up and reunited sooo many times, and finally got a record deal in the early 90's, but split up shortly after, only releasing 2 proper albums.
Hope this helped your blog a little.
Bobby Bergeron
Paranoize 'Zine
http://www.paranoizenola.com

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home