Saturday, March 25, 2006

1001 albums you must hear before you die

1001 albums you must hear before you die is coffee table book that might have been written for me personally. I have spent most of the past few months fondly looking at a copy in a local bookshop. Last week I had to buy a crate-load of books for my next professional exam from amazon and I noticed that it was half price. I bit the bullet and bought it. It's great.

Of the 1001 albums listed I own around 312 (I counted - I am a sad bastard) and I have heard several more. Most of the choices are pretty sound. Each album is reviewed with some biographical information about the band/artist involved.

It does pretty well on rock, jazz, punk and hip-hop although I thought the reggae section was a bit week (no toots, no max romeo, no lee perry). I would argue about some minor points (eg Husker Du - why warehouse.... and not zen arcade) but all in I think this is a tasteful and intelligent guide to modern music. The last entried include the MIA album and the last white stripes record.

If you are a music geek like me, you will love it.

Da funk

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home