Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Recent records that were not too good

I've been really lax with this blog. Partially my laziness has been because of being busy with work, etc. That has not been the only problem. At times I have lacked inspiration. A few dull albums have been released that I hoped would be good.

Time to quickly name and shame.

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium - Nearly 3 hours of boredom. There is probably a good 40 minute album in there somewhere but nobody I know can be bothered to find it. I'm not sure that i have ever managed to sit through the entire thing. It's a monster. I thought this album would be good cos Rick Rubin has worked with them in the past to good effect (bloodsugarsexmagic) but it just didn't happen. Avoid at all cost. Just listen to bloodsugar.... and californication as you cry in the corner of your room.

2. The Raconteurs - Broken boy soldiers. Good single. Good pedigree. High hopes (this album was hailed as the 'next nevermind' for a year before it came out). Dull album. Next!

3. Muse - Black holes & revelations. Stick your queen records up your arse! I only like some of their stuff a bit but not this. It just annoys me in an existential way.

4. Primal Scream - Riot city blues. Not really that crap but just not amazing. They wrote Screamadelica. And Vanishing Point. I've seen them 8 times. They can do better than this. C'mon.

Life is not all despair. I have heard some great records recently. These include;

The Triffids - Born Sandy Devotional
TV on the Radio - Return to cookie mountain
The Smiths - strangeways here we come
Fatboy Slim - hits comp
Johnny Cash - American V
The Verve - Northern Soul (for nostalgic reasons - holds up)
Nuggets - classic '60s psychadelic punk comp

Check them out

I might write about some of them if I remember

Funky

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home